Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen!
Everyone loves to gather in the kitchen and the cook is often the popular one in the house but did you know that cooking is the leading cause of home fires and injuries in the U.S. ?
Cooking fires often result from unattended cooking and human error. Although it is important to make sure your appliances are functioning properly and kept up to date, it is equally important to cook with caution and never get too comfortable in the kitchen.
Although accidents happen, it is important to be prepared and alert in order to minimize these chances before they occur. Here are a few simple safety precautions to take to decrease the possibility of a fire.
Some tips to remember:
Stay in the kitchen. Never leave cooking unattended.
Keep a fire extinguisher in or near the kitchen.
Make sure you the batteries are always changed in the smoke detector.
Never throw hot grease in the garbage can. This can easily start a fire.
Beware of things around the stove. Do not keep towels , oven mitts, or anything flammable near the fire.
Also, take notice of what you are wearing. Do not wear clothing that is flowing and could catch on fire.
Be safe while cooking and keep it the heart of the home.
If anything happens though, know that SERVPRO of Washington County is here to help .